The huge rocket attack of the missile attack also hung on the day in the sky near the Formula 1 route from Jidda. But after heavy discussions probably also about a boycott of the drivers, the Grand Prix creators of Saudi Arabia had saved their race at the early Saturday morning. The worried pilots were convincing, the World Association of Fia and the Formula 1 bosses announced: everything continues as planned.
- shock sits deep
- Hours-length consultations
- Ralf Schumacher left
- The formula 1 and the question of choosing your partners
Comprehensive safety guarantees of the Saudi government are the reason for the decision, the FIA and the race series announced together on Saturday. Shortly thereafter, the union of the pilots also transmitted their will to participate in the second seasonal run on Sunday (19.00 clock). Only at 2.30 local time all parties had scored an agreement on Saturday morning.
shock sits deep
The shock over the impact of a rocket in a few kilometers away Ölanlanlage of the Formula 1 main sponsor Aramco sits deep in the paddock. Huthi rebels had attacked several goals in Saudi Arabia on Friday. Background is the war in Yemen, which the kingdom leads against the Huthis and who has triggered one of the worst current humanitarian disasters.
"Yesterday was a difficult day for Formula 1 and a writing day for us Formula 1 driver," said the driver's representative GPDA. "It was difficult to stay a fully concentrated racer and turn off all natural human concerns if you have seen the smoke from the incident," it said.
After the two Friday training, the drivers advised more than four hours as it should continue. Partly Formula 1 boss Stefano Domenicali, sport boss Ross Brawn and some team bosses were there. A "big width of opinions" had been discussed, it was said.
According to reports, the officials also explained the pilots to the possible consequences of premature departure. Allegedly, the race series collects for the ten-year contract with Saudi Arabia's entitlements of 900 million dollars. The promise for maximum strengthening of security measures ultimately led to a solution, shared the GPDA. The clay of the statement leaves open whether all the drivers are really behind the decision.
Ralf Schumacher left
Ex-rider Ralf Schumacher at least decided differently and joined the journey home. The "Sky" expert and commentator Sascha Roos made his way back to Munich on Saturday morning. The station had released all employees whether they want to stay in Jidda.
The new World Federation Chief Muhammed Ben Sulayem had previously assured, formula 1 is not the goal of attacks. "They go to the infrastructure, not the civilians and of course not on the track," said the 60-year-old from Dubai. This has been checked. "Let's drive a race," said Ben Sulayem.
The US government and the Foreign Office condemned the attacks of the Huthi rebels. "Diese erneuten Angriffe verletzen das humanitäre Völkerrecht und untergraben die regionale Stabilität, indem sie eine weitere Eskalation provozieren. Angriffe auf zivile Ziele sind durch nichts zu rechtfertigen", teilte das Auswärtige Amt am Freitagabend mit.
The formula 1 and the question of choosing your partners
For Formula 1, the events, however, once again the question arises about the selection of their partners. Erst vor wenigen Wochen hatte die Rennserie ihre Verträge für Rennen in Russland wegen des Krieges in der Ukraine gekündigt. Other Grand Prix hosts such as Bahrain, Azerbaijan, China or Qatar have also been in criticism because of their violations of human rights.
Fia und Formel 1 ließen in ihrer Mitteilung erkennen, dass über die Ereignisse von Dschidda noch zu reden sein wird: "Mit allen Beteiligten ist vereinbart, einen klaren und offenen Dialog während des Events und in der Zukunft weiterzuführen."